Mother’s Day is only a few weeks away, and if you’re a “get it done at the last minute” kind of person like me, you likely haven’t gotten a gift for the mothers in your life yet. Time is of the essence, people - what are you going to give your darling mother for her special day?
While you could settle for a generic gift from any old store, why not do something special for the woman who brought you to this Earth? Hand-make mom something extra special this year for Mother’s Day!
There is nothing a mother appreciates more than a well thought out, personalized gift from her kids. Now, with the help of our trusty friend Google, it’s easier than ever to find easy tutorials for the most perfect gift ideas. And even though you could put in the work to make a google search and find the best DIY gift for your mom, we’ve already done it for you.
Here are the two simplest, sweetest, and personal gifts that you can make for your mom this Mother’s Day!
DIY Picture Magnets
What a perfect Mother’s Day gift! This simple and easy craft is sure to bring a smile to your mom’s face when she sees them on her fridge.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A mounting board/cupboard found at any arts and crafts supply store.
- UHU glue
- White acrylic paint
- Two paintbrushes - one small one to apply paint, one larger one to apply glue.
- Small printed out photos of you and your mom.
- Paper trimmer or box cutter
Paint the UHU glue onto the mounting board using the larger paintbrush.
Stick your printed photos onto the mounting board. Press them down to reduce bubbles and to flatten them out.
Use the paper trimmer or box cutter to cut out the photos from the rest of the mounting board.
Using the smaller paintbrush, paint the sides of the mounting board with white acrylic paint. This will conceal the grayish or brown color of the mounting board and will give the magnets a fresh look.
DIY Wood Block Photo Cube
This photo cube craft is cute and sentimental, and serves as a unique way to frame photos in your mom’s home!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4-inch wood block cube
- White craft paint
- Sanding sponge/block
- Matte finish Mod Podge
- Foam paintbrush
- 6 photos of your choosing printed on regular computer paper (dimensions should be just under 4x4 inches)
- Clear acrylic coating spray
- Paint all sides of the wooden cube with the white craft paint. Let the cube dry completely.
- Rub the sanding sponge all over the cube to give the paint a distressed look. Repeat this until you get the desired look.
- Cut out each of your photos with scissors. Remember that each photo should be just under 4x4 inches.
- Use the foam paintbrush to coat the backs of your photos with Mod Podge one at a time, then press the photos onto each side of the cube. Give the Mod Podge 3-4 hours to dry completely.
- After waiting for the initial glue to dry, paint one more coat of Mod Podge over each image using straight, clean strokes. Give this coat 2-3 hours to dry.
- Spray acrylic coating spray over each side of the cube and let each side dry.
When you’re finished, you’ll have a beautiful piece of decor to give to your mom that also functions as a photo display!
Have a happy Mother’s Day, and be sure to tell your mom you love her when you give her your handmade gift!