1. BIG HAIRPerms, perms, and more perms – you could have sailed the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria in some people’s flows. Whether it was big bangs, big curls, or big feathers, 80s hair was just big.
2. SPANDEXLycra changed the world, and the 80s made sure it knew. Everyone was wearing spandex. Men, women, boys, girls, it didn’t matter. Spandex was the material of the future, and everyone was in on the trend.
3. RIPPED KNEESWhen folks weren’t wearing skin tight leggings, they were wearing jeans. But the jeans had all seen better days. Whether you bought them that way or cut them out yourself, every pair of jeans had the knees torn out. Grandma hated it.
4. LACEY SHIRTSYou know what every shirt needs? MORE SHIRT. That’s what they said in the 80s at least, since every shirt had frills on frills on frills. Nice button up shirt? Toss some frills on it. T-shirt? Let’s try a couple of frills. Bedtime gown? Oh yea, that needs some frills for sure. Just check out Prince to see what frills were all about.
5. LEG WARMERSWho has ever been somewhere and said, “You know what? The rest of my body is fine, but my calves are just freezing!” Probably nobody, but that didn’t stop the 80s from creating leg warmers – pants for your calves only.
6. HIGH WAISTED JEANSWhether people just didn’t like belly buttons or they had to figure out a way to keep their pants up without belts, high waisted jeans were in. Now commonly referred to as mom jeans, these high rise beauties made a statement. We’re not sure what kind of statement, but they made one.
7. NEON COLORS
Why go big and bold if you’re just going to use muted colors? It doesn’t make any sense. That’s why neon colors were everywhere in the 80s. Plus, the neons really popped at the skating rink during the black light skate.